Wednesday, July 20, 2016

My mandalas in Mexico

Oh my goodness, the yoga retreat I took to Mexico at the end of April seems like it was ages ago! Finding this post saved in my blog drafts really took me back. Today I give you mandalas I drew in Mexico...
 
I loved having the opportunity for some down time on this retreat. I spent plenty of time practicing yoga, shopping with friends and visiting Mayan ruins, but there was also plenty of time for relaxing. I had taken a few books to read, but every time I picked one up my mind just wouldn't stay on task. So naturally, mandalas for me!

I noticed something about my mandalas while I was on the yoga retreat in Tulum, Mexico. My colors were all beach-y and sunny and vacation-y feeling.

Oh, that light that shined through my cabana window... Swoon!

True. Love.

This next mandala never made it to completion. This is what happens when I force something. I wanted to draw a mandala with harder edges so I started out with this:

And then I lost interest. I tried to add some color but just wasn't feeling it so I figured, "Meh. Life's too short, turn the page..."

And then I went back to what comes naturally...

Side note from mandala talk: The first couple of mornings as I walked along the beach I was surprised to see no shells for collecting. How could that be? Then I thought of my sweet hubby and how he is always finding little trinkets and stuff - because he really looks for them. So the next morning I decided to be more like Doug. I looked a little closer, and what do you know? I found shells! The shells on the beach at our resort were always buried just a little under the sand, with the very tops poking out. I was tentative with the first couple I dug out with my finger, expecting a little critter to climb out from underneath, but that never happened. I found shells every time I walked on the beach from that day on.



One of the participants in our group had a birthday during the week of our retreat, and my Alaskan friends suggested that we make a card for him that we could all sign. "I have nice paper with me!" I volunteered, and we agreed to meet later and construct a card. When we gathered we decided that I'd draw a mandala base, and a couple of other friends gathered beach items to adhere to the front. I loved the addition of the beach finds and the ring of sand inside! We were able to borrow a bottle of glue from the resort office, and we were all so happy with the way the card turned out. The recipient loved it too.







I drew the next one for my mama. Her birthday was at the end of the week during my retreat.







Last but not least, imagine my surprise and gratitude when I was presented with a birthday card made just for me at the end of our week. (My birthday fell on the day after our return home.) I had taught a couple of the ladies in my group how to draw mandalas, and they made this card for me that everyone signed. I love that I have Kat's first mandala as a keepsake! I will treasure it for always.



And how cool is it that they found a heart shaped ocean piece for the center?
Mandala love.

7 comments:

Audrey said...

I love this post, Deb! Your mandalas are so lovely.....I think you should stick with the ones that come naturally ~ they're really quite beautiful. No hard edges there! I thought it was very touching that all of your new yoga friends made a mandala card for you ~ I'm sure that meant a lot to you!

alexa said...

The colours do have a lovely Caribbean feel :) I especially like the one for your mama, and am intrigued st the way the shapes seem to fold and wave - like the sea, I guess!

hula-la said...

Oh I love mandalas! These are wonderful. I think I will give it a try! Thank you for sharing! Aloha!

hula-la said...

And I love all the texture that is visible...from the paper, to your embellishments. Very nice, indeed!

Patio Postcards said...

Beautiful. I like the mauve & turquoise colours

Susanne said...

Those are pretty, and I bet restful too!

debs14 said...

Oh wow Deb, these are so pretty! What wonderful memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...